Thursday, 15 September 2011

Ministers Call for Sell-by Dates to be Scrapped

in a Bid to Reduce £12bn Yearly Edible Food Wastage.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman has said that confusing labels of food packaging is behind at least £750m worth of food wastage each year in Britain.

Packaging currently carries a number of advisory dates, such as sell-by, use-by, best before, and display until. Most of which is irrelevant to buyers.

According to the Department of Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), only the use-by date is required, as this indicates when the food is safe to eat.

BBC News

------------------------

Personally, unless it's a meat based item, I tend not to bother with use-by or sell-by dates. My motto is; if it smells bad, don't eat it!

How about you, do you bother with use-by/sell-by dates?

3 comments:

  1. Not really, I'm usually a eyes, ears and nose person. If it passes those three tests, I'm more likely to take a chance if the use by date is within a couple of weeks. After a month - I toss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time they rationalised these labels. I hate waste, and all that food going into the bin just because the display dates are expired! Let's hope they don't find another way to make us buy more - because, in the end, that's really what the supermarkets are all interested in! Cynical? Maybe...but that's my thought!

    By the way, have just picked you up on the Blogging Buddies site and am about to follow you too! Hope you'll return the favour: I'm at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com - where I write about my stuffed animals and how I make, mend and otherwise create them, while trying to sell them at www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com. How about calling round at either (or both) sites? Look forward to it! Isobel

    ReplyDelete